One of the world’s most recognizable shaving brands has teamed up with the Japanese imprint to customize its ProGlide Shield men’s shaving razor. The collaboration features BAPE’s iconic ABC CAMO in blue on the lower third of the razor, white on the handle, and a black razor on Gillette’s FlexBall technology.
Because this isn’t just your ordinary razor, the BAPE x Gillette razor is sold with an accompanying magnetic stand that features co-branding — so you can show it off in all its glory.
Packaging has always been BAPE’s strong suit and once again they’ve knocked it out of the park. Matching the razor itself, ABC CAMO in blue takes over the box alongside the APE HEAD motif while a white cutout APE HEAD cover brings another dimension.
Why did they choose the ProGlide Shield?
Gillette’s ProGlide Shield razor boasts a lot of technology according to the Proctor & Gamble corporation. Here are some of the features of the razor per Gilette’s website:
- Lubrication – shield from irritation: Shaving razor for me with lubrication before and after the blades, shields skin from irritation while you shave.
- Flexible microfins: Microfins stretch and smooth skin while the microcomb guides hair to the blade.
- Five antifriction blades: Features five antifriction blades and a Precision Trimmer on the back – perfect for styling facial hair and hard-to-reach places.
- FlexBall technology: Gillette razor handle with FlexBall technology, ProShield responds to contours and gets virtually every hair.
- Microcomb: MicroComb that helps guide stubble to the blades.
- Cross-compatibility: Fits all Gillette 5-blade razor handles (excluding GilletteLabs).
While a lot of this is marketing fluff, I don’t mind and still want this razor. Personally as someone who doesn’t shave very often (I rock a beard all year round), I’ll be honest and say that just having this on the bathroom sink is enough for me and functionality is an afterthought. Plus, it’s no shave November right?
How to buy
While there is no word on a US release, Japan will release this collaboration on November 16 through Matsumotokiyoshi group stores and Cocokara Fine group stores. Hit up your proxy or shop StockX, it’s all good.
Photos via BAPE