Lately, a large majority of people in my life have been obsessed with jojoba oil – especially the ones with really good hair. Intrigued by their long and healthy locks, I decided to check it out.
What is jojoba oil?
Jojoba oil is the wax extracted from seeds of a jojoba plant, which are native to southwestern United States — mainly growing in Southern California, Arizona, and Mexico. Rich in vitamins C, B, E, copper and zinc, it acts as a great nourishment for hair. The vitamins work to strengthen hair by moisturizing the hair follicles, turning them from dry to hydrated. This helps to prevent hair loss while simultaneously promoting hair thickness.
Why should I use jojoba oil in my hair?
Because jojoba oil is oily in composition, it can be used as a great moisturizer or added to hair conditioners for extra protection against split ends, dryness, and breakage. Not to mention, it can work as a dandruff remedy as it moisturizes and restores hydration to the scalp. Other benefits include:
- Anti-inflammatory and skin moisturizer to treat dry, itchy scalps.
- Microemulsion that helps carry active ingredients in other products to work better in shampoo and conditioner.
- Prevents hair breakage and strengthens hair follicles.
- Promotes strong, silky hair.
- Long shelf life and can be used in your hair for much longer than the average product.
How to add jojoba oil to the hair
There are a couple options in terms of application:
- Add jojoba oil to hair products: Add about 3-5 drops of jojoba oil to your favorite hair care products before use.
- Use jojoba oil directly: Warm the oil up on the stove or in the microwave before you apply to your hair. Depending on your hair length, you should only be using 1-2 tablespoons and apply from roots to ends. Leave on hair for about 20 minutes then shampoo, condition, rinse and style as usual.
- Invest in products that have jojoba oil in them.
Are there any side effects?
Short answer: no. There are very little scientific studies and reviews that would suggest any side affects or safety concerns for using jojoba oil on your hair. The only real concern would be the rarity of an allergy to jojoba oil. All in all, jojoba oil can be a great addition to your hair care routine as it enhances the conditioning of your hair — strengthening it and improving it’s shine and manageability.
To learn more about hair, read up on the following articles:
Photo via Getty Images