Whenever you have acne, you’ll probably hear people suggest retinol, salicylic acid, or benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients have been deemed to be the most amazing and effective players in the market, but there are more natural ingredients to consider as alternatives. And yes, they will produce clear skin as well.
A top one to consider is safflower oil. Yes, oil. As you know, acne is the direct result of excess oil that has built up, so you’re probably wondering why you would use more oil to clear up oil. Weird? Not so much. Safflower oil is a plant-based oil that is great for moisturizing and combats blemishes. Don’t believe us that easily?
The below intel should help with that.
What exactly is safflower oil?
Safflower, a plant made from cold-pressing the seeds of a flower, dates back to 4,000 years ago. Popular for being one of the healthiest oils you can cook with, safflower oil has been used for culinary purposes for years. Secondly, due to its orange-red color, it’s used in the apparel industry to dye textiles.
What are the benefits of this particular oil for acne?
- Safflower oil has a fatty acid composition for the skin. It also acts as an antioxidant and anti-bacterial oil when used in skin care. Formulated with Vitamin E, it helps inhibit the damage caused by over-exposure to UVB rays by minimizing the effects of the enzyme that breaks down collagen — it’s great for premature aging.
- Safflower oil also acts as an anti-fungal and antimicrobial. You can use it to treat skin injuries that are often common with acne lesions and the lingering texture they could leave behind.
- It’s formulated with Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids: linoleic acid, alpha-linolenic acid, oleic acid, and more. This beautiful trio makes safflower oil deeply moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, soothing, and hydrating.
- This essential oil is non-comedogenic, a key factor for acne-prone skin, with the minimal concern for clogged pores.
- As an anti-inflammatory, safflower oil helps reduce skin redness.
- Safflower oil has a high amount of linoleic acid, the hero component for acne prevention. By using safflower-filled skincare products, you will help reduce the size of blackheads and whiteheads.
Are there any side effects?
How and when should I use safflower oil to get rid of acne?
When used, safflower oil must be in the purest form possible, AKA, cold-processed and minimally-processed. If you find the purest form, you can take 2-3 drops of it directly on your skin, daily. And make sure you store it in a dark place to avoid contamination.
Keep reading if you need help with hormonal acne.
Photo via Stock