In an unending list of beauty trends, it can seem like all beauty lives in a woman’s world. Wrong. Several beauty habits and skincare routines are universal. Face scrubs. Serums. Moisturizer. Even makeup. And the latest, and maybe not even known to you, jade rollers.
Jade rollers, or “yushi gunlun” in Chinese, is an ancient healing technique known for its youth-preserving abilities. They are usually the size of your hand and look like a miniature paint roller. Not sure exactly what it does, or of the praised de-puffing benefits? Here’s what you need to know.
What is a jade roller supposed to do?
Jade rollers can be easily incorporated into your skincare routine and perfectly compliments any facial cleanser or oil. They have been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine. “The gemstone was used to draw out negative energy and balance ‘chi’, which is also known as ‘life force’ or ‘energy’ in traditional Chinese medicine,” a skincare owner shared.
What are the benefits of jade rolling?
Jade is cool to touch and manages to stay cool while on your skin. The cooling helps brighten the complexion, reduce puffiness, stimulate lymphatic drainage, removes toxic buildup, and promotes blood circulation. The blood circulation carries oxygen to skin cells and helps penetrate products into the skin tissue, minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles: Our faces hold a lot of tension when we are stressed, anxious, or facially expressive. Tension builds up in our temples, foreheads, jaws, and everywhere else. The jade roller acts as a massager to gently smooth out fine lines and loosen up the skin.
- De-swells: Poor diet and bad sleep can lead to poor circulation and puffiness in your face. The gentle pressure and motion promotes proper circulation of blood and other fluids.
Does it work?
Short answer: yes. There are two ends to every jade roller. One smaller than the other, in order to roll over different areas of the face. Jade users typically see dramatic differences in their skin tone and overall puffiness in a matter of weeks.
How do you use one?
It’s important that the jade roller stays cool, so store in the fridge when not in use. Follow the below steps to use.
- Wash and properly clean your face.
- (optional) Apply serum on your face. Facial rollers tend to work better with an oil or serum.
- Roll away. Apply soft and medium pressure to your face and neck for about 15-20 seconds. The roller can be used on your cheeks, chin, forehead, under eyes, and neck. Roll in an upward motion and start from the inside of your face to the outside.
- Moisturize. Now that the oil or massage has been worked in, moisturize to seal the deal.
Photo via brand